A brief bio
I love what I do. My clients and I make sense of what seems to make no sense at all and we find healing and joy together. There is nothing better.
Originally from the East Coast, I have lived in Seattle since the late 80s. I like to practice what I preach and take time to be outdoors, balance work and play, and spend time with friends and family (and alone, too!). Creative projects feed my soul and I take care of myself through yoga, walks, and getting plenty of sleep!
My Therapeutic Work
Some clients want to work from the inside out, looking deep inside themselves to change their emotional response to stress and difficulties. Others like to work from the outside in, learning skills and psychoeducation to manage difficult feelings and emotions. I work with clients to find out what works best and we go from there. Many of my clients experience depression and anxiety. These symptoms sometimes show up as personality disorders, self harm, traumatic memories or simply feeling “stuck.” I pull from various empirically supported practices including Dialectic Behavioral Therapy, Attachment Theory, Internal Family Systems, Mindfulness, and Art Therapy when working with clients.
I LOVE working with people who think they “aren’t artistic.” That was me!
- MA Psychology, Antioch University Seattle with a dual specialty in Marriage & Family Therapy and Art Therapy
- Teacher’s Certification, George Mason University
- BS, Geology, University of Delaware
I have worked with families and teens in various settings for over 17 years. For the last three years I have been in private practice, serving couples, individuals, and adolescents. I currently split my time between Bellevue and Seattle.
I attend professional trainings on an ongoing basis. Below is a list of some of the trainings I have taken in the last year or two.
- Intensively trained in Dialectic Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Gottman Method of Couples Counseling www.gottman.com
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy www.iceeft.com
- MARI (Mandala Assessment & Research Instrument)
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (Meditation)
- Treatment and diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder
- Gottman Bringing Baby Home Educator Training
- Nurtured Heart Approach Training (parenting)
Other Relevant Experience
- Middle School Science Teacher for 12 years at a local private school
- Ultimate Frisbee Coach for 12 years
- Residential Counselor at a group home for developmentally disabled adults for 2 years
- I am a Master’s level therapist and an LMFT (license number LF60612559)
- Gottman Certified Educator for Bringing Baby Home Program
- Intensively Trained DBT therapist